Facilities & Office Manager
The Facilities + Office Manager is responsible for overall administrative and facilities services and office management for the Portland Headquarters and Washington DC offices. This position is critical to ensuring necessary operational support and a professional impression to the Mercy Corps team and frequent visitors.
The position manages two direct reports, one in Portland and one in Washington DC. Administrative management includes A+F operations desk service, concierge services, domestic and international shipping, document archival services, and special projects. Facilities management includes safety and security, strategic space planning and management, occupancy planning, and appearance standards.
- Manage, mentor, and motivate reporting team members through processes that encourage a team culture of learning and innovation. Manage performance plans and evaluations that incorporate staff development opportunities.
- Manage the A+F desk and operations center: field, assign and dispatch service requests; provide first-line general agency information; provide a professional welcome to team members, guests and visitors; ensure phones are answered promptly, properly and efficiently; manage messages; direct calls and visitors; manage email correspondence and inquiries.
- Direct incoming and outgoing mail, packages and shipments. Includes managing couriers, UPS, FedEx and DHL shipments. Includes management of scheduled and ongoing field shipments to more than 40+ international offices, with attendant customs paperwork and shipping manifest documentation.
- Manage operating inventories. Order and stock office, copy and kitchen supplies. Provide consulting to guide team members to low-cost, environmentally sustainable supplies.
- Manage off site documents storage, processing pickups and removal of documents. Develop and implement plans for storage and archival of historical documents and materials.
- Provide new-hire and onboarding orientation for new HQ team members.
- Provide notary public services as warranted.
- Manage administration of Mercy Corps’ mobile phone account.
- Provide A+F documentation updates, including A+F team coverage calendar and internal rosters. Strategically participate in the development of policies and procedures that affect A+F and its clients.
- Participate in preparing the A+F budget.
- Ensure the safety of the facilities from fire, theft and other emergencies by initiating regular protocols on safety measures in the office. Work with the A+F Director to develop and maintain comprehensive, site-specific safety, security, and emergency-preparedness plans. Implement plan and procedures, including periodic evacuation and preparedness drills. Ensure that all team members are trained in office safety and security.
- Plan and manage space usage at Portland HQ and Washington DC sites, including forward-thinking space strategies, occupancy planning, space database updates and reporting.
- Responsible for appearance standards throughout the site, including public spaces such as lobbies, conference rooms, common areas, coffee bars, copy areas, storage areas, and plants program.
- Serve as vendor point-of-contact for office-related service providers, including vendor selection, oversight, performance management, quality assurance and service agreements for services such as supplies, coffee and catering.
- Organize and manage site access and key management.
- Maintain and manage office opening and closing protocols.
- Recommend, monitor and maintain conservation efforts.
- Other duties and projects as assigned or requested.
Two regular team members: Portland Administration + Facilities Coordinator and DC Office Administrator.
Reports Directly To: Director, Administration + Facilities
Works Directly With: Mercy Corps U.S.-based team members, A+F Team in Portland and Washington, DC, other Mercy Corps team members in the U.S., Europe and field teams.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- B.A. or B.S. in a relevant field.
- Five years of professional experience in a fast-paced executive environment, with emphasis on administrative services, office management, facilities management and operations, property and real estate services.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; sensitivity, skill and experience with public relations and correspondence to a wide variety of public constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and assume responsibility for processes.
- Excellent computer skills required, including familiarity with MS Word and Excel; comfort with IT functions a plus.
- Multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills, and to work well under pressure and cooperatively with team members.
- The ability to take direction as well as work independently.
The successful Facilities + Office Manager will demonstrate a healthy combination of professionalism, warmth and confidence in providing efficient administrative and facilities services. They/Them will be positive and energetic, and demonstrate entrepreneurial and innovative ownership of the position and its duties. They/Them will place a high priority on attention to strategy, detail and organization.
The Facilities + Office Manager will be able to work both independently and cooperatively, and will effectively and accurately represent Mercy Corps to those who come to the Mercy Corps office. They/Them will demonstrate flexibility and creativity in planning and problem-solving, be a quick learner, someone who takes the initiative, and will be accountable for results. The Facilities + Office Manager will be able to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced, fluid work environment. Even temperament and a good sense of humor appreciated.