Senior Legal Officer - Mogadishu, Somalia
ORG. SETTING AND REPORTING
This position is located within the United Nations Support Office for Somalia (UNSOS) and will be based in Mogadishu, Somalia. The Senior Legal Affairs Officer reports to the Head of UNSOS.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Legal Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supports the Head of UNSOS in the implementation of the work programme of the Office and provides legal expertise and advice on a wide range of complex legal issues affecting the United Nations Mission's mandate and activities, including public international, private and administrative law matters, as well as issues of constitutional and other national law as they affect the Mission or the mandate. In particular, provides or supports the Head of UNSOS in the provision of legal advice and expertise on the interpretation of the Mission's mandate, the legal status of the Mission and its members, including in areas such as privileges and immunities and Status of Forces/Status of Mission Agreements; on aspects of the Mission's operational activities, including the Mission's rules of engagement and directives on the use of force and related guidelines, matters relating to international law, including international humanitarian law, international criminal law and the protection of civilians, as appropriate.
- Advises and supports the Head of UNSOS in the provision of advice on administrative, personnel and contractual matters related to the Mission's activities, including issues relating to the accountability of personnel, procurement matters, third party claims, as well as legal questions involving the interpretation or application of UN regulations and rules. S/he also drafts and reviews agreements, institutional and operational modalities, major contracts, legal submissions, and other legal documents and provides advice on and participates in negotiations for the settlement of claims and disputes.
- Assists and supports the Head of UNSOS in establishing and maintaining good working relations with government officials (ministries, authorities and agencies) and other entities on legal matters related to the implementation of the Mission's mandate, including the implementation of agreements and other arrangements with the host, or with other governments; liaises and participates in meetings and discussions with governments and other institutions and entities; liaises with other UN agencies, funds and programmes, as well as other internal and external actors and organizations, as required.
- Participates in administrative Boards and Committees, including in relation to the procurement process, claims and property management, and on ad hoc working groups and task forces, as assigned by the Head of UNSOS.
- Assists and supports the Head of UNSOS in the management and administration of the unit, including organizing and prioritizing workload and managing, supervising and guiding more junior legal officers.
- Performs extensive legal research and analysis on highly complex or novel legal issues/questions and prepares legal opinions, studies, briefs, reports, and correspondence, represents the Office at meetings, conferences, seminars, etc.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in law is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research and writing is required.
Experience working with peacekeeping missions and international organizations in conflict or post-conflict settings is desirable.
Experience in engagement with national/local authorities, especially countries emerging from conflicts is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Fluency in another UN official language is an advantage.