Contract & Procurement Manager II (FHI Clinical)
FHI 360: nonprofit human development organization
United States (Anywhere)Deadline: May 31, 2022full time
Summary of the Position:
The Contract & Procurement Manager II (Remote) will support a global contracting and procurement function for a small, but quickly growing, CRO start-up. S/he will provide ad hoc support to the process of defining and improving standardization / streamlining of operations and enhancing value of the company.
This position is responsible for managing the drafting, negotiation, review & approval, and execution of contracts with FHI Clinical's customers, associated vendors and strategic partners and using the various business systems employed by the organization. Reporting to either the Director or Associate Director, this role will work closely with management in the Finance, Proposals, Clinical and Business Operations to support sponsored projects and internal requirements.
The Contract & Procurement Manager II will have primary responsibility for a portfolio of intermediately complex contractual arrangements and, with the support of their supervisor, manage department projects and corporate initiatives as assigned. The successful candidate may provide mentoring and peer support to other members of the Contracts & Procurement team as required. This position will be remote (home-based).
- Responsible for managing the relationships between FHI Clinical and its customers and vendors for the assigned portfolio of intermediate complexity. Responsible for the drafting, negotiating, and management of agreements with third parties (sponsors & vendors) including, but not limited to: confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, master services agreements, change orders, task orders, purchase orders and data privacy and information security agreements with occasional support, as needed, from department management. The Contracts & Procurement Manager II will also support the execution of other less frequently encountered third-party and multi-party agreements.
- Follow established department processes for efficient and transparent management of company business. Support policy/process development on an ad hoc basis.
- Interact with various internal clients and functional groups to identify and address legal and business questions and provide guidance as well as practical solutions. Identify risks and support the development of risk mitigation strategies which department leadership will address with the senior leadership team.
- As a valued business partner, with occasional support from management, provide advice to clinical operations, finance, and other internal stakeholders regarding contract terms and conditions, applicable policies and procedures so as to help support meeting FHI Clinical's business objectives.
- Sound business judgement is required; escalation of troublesome or unfamiliar contract/legal questions to the Associate Director or Director as appropriate.
- Mentor, coach, and develop more junior talent; provide peer-to-peer guidance and support to other members of the CONPROC team.
- Provides guidance and oversight to direct report(s) including the management of workload, special projects, performance management, salary review, and career development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of commercial or US government agreements in support of CRO operations. Ability to review, analyze, assess risk and summarize findings for standard contractual agreements. Familiarity with clinical trial agreements/site contracts in support of clinical studies is considered a plus.
- Knowledge of general corporate business practices, commercial contracting regulations and principles, and subcontracting / vendor management practices
- Considerable negotiation skills and understanding of the negotiation process, particularly as it relates to subcontract/vendor management.
- Solid understanding of information systems. Familiarity with Salesforce CRM, DocuSign, Costpoint, SharePoint & Kissflow preferred. Working knowledge of relevant business systems needed to support contract and procurement management activities.
- Ability to meet business-driven deadlines and commitments while maintaining a high level of quality and professionalism.
- Bachelors’ degree required; Masters’ or Professional Degree preferred, such as MBA, J.D., or the international equivalent.
- Preferred Job-related Experience: 5-7years’ experience required, with a minimum of three years of experience in pharmaceuticals or a commercial CRO negotiating sponsored or vendor contracts.. Line management experience preferred.
- Any training specific to the role, such as contract negotiation, process improvement, or other. Knowledge of PMBOK / CMBOK principles a plus.
- Relevant industry certifications: PMP, CPCM, CFCM, etc.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office 365 suite of products.
- This role is typically home-based
- Majority of time is spent on the computer; some meetings
- The expected travel time is <10% for this position.