Association Coordinator Association Coordinator
MSF: Medecins Sans Frontieres
United States (New York)Deadline: May 24, 2022full time
The Association Coordinator serves as a crucial link between MSF field projects and the MSF-USA Association, the US office, the Board, and other MSF Associations. In particular, the position provides a bridge between the membership and its elected representatives. At its core, the position galvanizes Associative life throughout the US office and Association.
Planning and Management
- Leads the ongoing development and implementation of the annual plan to catalyze the engagement of the MSF-USA Association in close collaboration with the Chair of the Association Committee of the Board and the Board and Executive Liaison Officer. Updates and engages the full Board as needed.
- Develops annual budget projection and conducts quarterly budget revisions for Association activities for review and approval by the Chair of the Association Committee, Board and Executive Liaison Officer, and Executive Director, and administers budget throughout the year.
- Throughout the year, collaborates with the Association Committee to prepare for committee meetings, oversees the application and approval process for new Association members and maintains the association database (status, vote eligibility and GA attendance)
- Hires, manages and evaluates the Association Assistant. Additionally, manages office volunteers, work-study students and/or interns for administrative tasks.
- Coordinates the election of the Board of Directors with legal counsel and facilitates the Association Committee of the Board in addressing legal issues pertaining to the Association, including definition and interpretation of By-Laws.
- Leads the development of content and all logistics for the General Assembly in close collaboration with the Association Committee, the Management Team, and members of the staff. This includes proposing and refining the agenda, schedules, themes, formats, speaker lists.
- Overseeing the functioning (budget, evaluation, communication, recruitment of peers, respect of the guideline) of the Peer Support Network (PSN) with the PSN coordinators.
- Communicates regularly with Association members on an individual basis through briefings/debriefings.
- Supports the Board in developing and maintaining ongoing dialogue with its constituency.
- Supports regional activities, including cultivating and mobilizing regional hub membership, facilitating the monthly hub conference call, and the annual Associative Meeting
- Works in collaboration with the Public and Internal Engagement and Systems teams as necessary for associative and office events
- Plans and leads internal discussions, workshops, and events in office and for Association members to promote engagement.
- In collaboration with the OCP Association Communications Officer, plans and manages editorial content for online and print communications (Souk, Facebook page, and email blasts and Souk letters) designed to keep the Association membership informed regarding key MSF issues and debates.
- Works in collaboration with the Public and Internal Engagement Unit to cultivate a culture within the Office that is aligned with MSF’s values of debate, discussion, and inclusive engagement. Activities include (when in-person in the office) helping organize evening debates and other events.
MSF International Coordination and Representation
- Follow the activities of other MSF Associations. Share with Associative counterparts’ ideas, best practices, and materials to help build a strong Association. Research the tools, initiatives, and organization of other Associations and format and content of the General Assemblies of other sections.
- Participate in the monthly call organized by the International Associative Team with the other MSF associations
- Works strategically with key counterparts in MSF France and across the Americas as part of our OCP partnership and regional connections.
- Closely follows movement discussions in order to incorporate their content and feedback into our Associative dialogue. The Association Coordinator may be asked to attend other sections’ Associative events.
- Ability to work independently, with a minimum of supervision, to accomplish the goals of the position while inviting the participation and incorporating the voices of multiple constituencies
- Genuine interest in, and commitment to, the Associative dimension of MSF and our humanitarian work
- Events planning and project management experience
- Ability to think strategically about how to engage the Association in debate and drive content
- At least 1-2 years’ experience in outreach, communications, or similar organizing activities
- Strong communication skills - interpersonal, written, and oral. Ability to communicate with a wide variety of people including field workers, Board members, office staff, and donors
- MSF experience or comparable experience at a humanitarian organization
- English fluency
- Field experience with MSF or comparable humanitarian organization
- Ability to speak French or Spanish
Expected to work in a hybrid remote work environment with the ability to come into either the NYC office or regional hub (Washington, DC or Bay Area, California) a minimum of 2 times a week.
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: May 24, 2022
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Desired Hiring Date: July 1, 2022